Does the idea of a smoothie send chills down your spine when the temperature plunges?
Like many others, you might be missing out on one of winter’s best-kept secrets if you are forgoing your delicious smoothies for warmer weather. With the right blend of spices and ingredients, smoothies provide a powerhouse of nutrients designed to help fight off sickness while keeping you warm and toasty.
Adding the right spices and winter produce creates exotic, refreshing drinks that will make you feel warm all over. And best of all, these flavorful additions also increase the health benefits of your smoothie.
- Warming Spices: Spices can have either a warming or a cooling feeling on the body. Warming spices include cinnamon, black pepper, turmeric, clove, cayenne, cardamom, ginger, and star anise. By adding them to our recipes, we impart their flavor and sensation to the food.
- Protein Powders: Protein is essential to building muscle, creating enzymes and hormones, and repairing tissue. These powders are a powerhouse ingredient in smoothies.
- Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables: Winter fruits are high in vitamin C. Adding oranges, grapefruits, mangoes, and kiwi brings a tropical taste to our drinks, plus a healthy dose of vitamins. Pair orange or mango with ginger, and you have a spicy taste of the tropics.
- Going Green: A handful of spinach, kale, or other microgreens are a tremendous source of vitamin B’s which helps your body release energy and a healthy nervous system. Since they are in their raw form, the nutrients are at a premium.
- Fiber-rich foods: Nuts and seeds provide an abundance of fiber. With the aid of a blender, it is easy to add chia seeds, flax seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and more. Try using oats in your blender as a binder for your smoothie—an easy way to add fiber and richness.
Do you have a favorite smoothie? The internet is full of tasty recipes for healthy smoothies, but you can make your own creations with some imagination. Remember to balance your sweet ingredients with your fibers and proteins for a delicious drink, and don’t forget to add spice to warm up your day.