Nothing says fall more than the sweet taste of pumpkin, and what better way to celebrate this wonderful season than with a homemade Walnut Pumpkin Roll?
This delightful dessert perfectly fuses the warm, comforting taste of pumpkin, the satisfying crunch of walnuts, and a hint of sweetness and spice. Whether hosting a Thanksgiving feast or craving a sweet treat on a cozy autumn evening, this recipe will undoubtedly become a fall favorite.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
For the Filling:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese
1. Prepare the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Grease and flour the paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high for five minutes. Gradually add white sugar and pumpkin.
- Add flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix until well combined.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the chopped walnuts evenly on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
2. Roll and Cool:
- Immediately turn the cake out onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up in the towel, starting with the short end.
- Let it cool.
3. Prepare the Filling:
- Mix 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, softened butter, and cream cheese in a separate bowl until smooth.
- Optional: I have sometimes added a little zest of orange to this. It is a pleasant hint of citrus that enhances the spice of the pumpkin.
4. Assemble the Roll:
- Carefully unroll the cake and spread the prepared filling to within 1 inch of the edge.
- Roll the cake up again and cover it. Chill it until serving.
- Dust with additional confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Enjoying the Flavors of Fall
Now that your Walnut Pumpkin Roll is ready, it’s time to savor the essence of autumn. This dessert embodies the spirit of the season with its rich pumpkin flavor and the comforting warmth of cinnamon. Adding walnuts provides a delightful crunch that perfectly complements the creamy, not-too-sweet filling.
Feel free to add your creative touches to this recipe. If you forget to add the walnuts to the cake as I did, don’t worry! You can simply toss them into the filling for a delightful surprise. The filling strikes a perfect balance of sweetness, making it a crowd-pleaser.
Presentation and Storage
When it comes to serving, consider dusting the finished roll generously with powdered sugar. It enhances the visual appeal and adds a hint of sweetness.
For a cool and refreshing texture, pop your roll in the freezer for about an hour to let it set up. Afterward, store it in the fridge, wrapped tightly in non-stick aluminum foil. This preserves its freshness and makes it easy to slice and serve.
As the fall season unfolds, make the most of its bountiful flavors with this Walnut Pumpkin Roll. Whether for a family gathering or a cozy night in, this dessert is a delightful addition to your autumn menu. With its simplicity and irresistible taste, you’ll find yourself coming back for more of this fall-inspired treat. So, roll up your sleeves and let the baking begin!
It’s the perfect season for soups. Check out the recipe above Amish Country Potato Soup.