Tomato Zucchini Casserole: A Culinary Delight
Hello, dear readers!
Today, I’m thrilled to introduce you to a dish that perfectly captures the flavors of summer while delivering the cozy comfort we seek heading into fall: the Tomato Zucchini Casserole.
Why This Dish Stands Out
What sets this casserole apart? First, the ingredients. The vibrant, juicy plum tomatoes paired with crisp, fresh zucchini are a match made in heaven. Both of these summer vegetables are not just delicious but brimming with nutrients. Now, add the creamy textures of cheddar and parmesan, the aromatic touch of garlic, oregano, and basil, and top it all off with a golden breadcrumb crust. Mouthwate. It?
A Casserole that is Easy to Prepare, Delightful to Serve
I can’t emphasize enough how straightforward this dish is. The prep is all about layering – zucchini, cheese and herb mix, tomatoes, and then repeat. The breadcrumbs sautéed with butter and onions create a top layer that, when baked, forms a crispy, golden crust, contrasting beautifully with the soft, melted layers beneath.
This casserole is not just about taste; it’s a visual delight too. The vibrant colors of tomatoes and zucchinis peeking through the golden crust make it a centerpiece-worthy dish, perfect for family gatherings, potlucks, or any occasion you want to impress.
Tomato Zucchini Casserole lives up to 5 stars
I can assure you this Tomato Zucchini Casserole doesn’t just look good on paper; it has earned a 5.0-star rating. The blend of flavors, the medley of textures, and the sheer comfort it brings with each bite is something you must experience to believe.
A little tip: serve this casserole with a side of green salad or a crusty bread loaf, and you’ve got yourself a hearty and wholesome meal. This dish is ooey gooey right out of the oven, but the next day it is Oo-la-la delicious!
If you’re looking for a dish that’s a crowd-pleaser, looks delectable, and brings the essence of summer to your table, the Tomato Zucchini Casserole is your answer. Give it a try, and share your love for this dish in our comments.
- 1 ½ cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- ⅓ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 Medium Zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 5 Plum Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Butter
- 2 Tbsp Onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup Fine Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly butter a 9×9” pan.
- Combine Cheddar, Parmesan, garlic, oregano, and basil in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Arrange ½ of the zucchini slices in the pan.
- Sprinkle ¼ of the cheese and herb mixture on top.
- Arrange ½ of the tomatoes and top with another ¼ of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook until soft and translucent.
- Stir in bread crumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the top is crusty and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Thank you to our friends at Walnut Creek Cheese for this delectable dish.
Another recipe, End of Summer Slaw, is a tasty way to use up some of those remaining garden vegetables.