Choose an Indoor Waterpark
Shores & Islands Ohio
When the weather outside is frightful, many folks plan an indoor water park getaway to take advantage of toasty 80+ degree indoor temperatures, regardless of weather conditions. But how do you choose the right water park resort for your vacation? Allow us to introduce you to the indoor water park resorts of Shores & Islands Ohio.
GREAT WOLF LODGE
4600 Milan Rd. (US 250), Sandusky, OH 44870
Family Fun: 33,000 sq. ft. indoor water park features a lazy river, four-story fort, giant tipping bucket, and more. Day passes are now available for outside guests in limited quantities, an amenity not formerly available through Great Wolf Lodge resorts. Other activities offered include the Cub Club arts and crafts, character appearances, story time, and the Great Clock Tower show as well as a prize-winning arcade.
Food Features: Snack bar located within the water park; take-out pizza, sandwiches, and salads; sweet shop featuring coffee, ice cream, pastries, and homemade fudge; on-site Dunkin’ Donuts open morning and afternoon; full-service Gitchigoomie Grill offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a full-service bar.
Overnighting: Get great deals on overnight stays, including a great Early Saver deal when you book at least 60 days in advance. Don’t miss a variety of standard, themed, and premium suites.
- Sweet suites – This all-suite hotel features fabulous themed suites, including the “Wolf Den,” “Kid Cabin,” “Royal Bear,” and loft fireplace suites.
- MagiQuest – Play this fun, interactive game and turn Great Wolf Lodge into your own personal playground. Purchase a magic wand and set off on a quest throughout the resort, where you’ll unlock a world of adventure. Great for family play!
KALAHARI RESORTS & CONVENTIONS
7000 Kalahari Dr. (off US 250), Sandusky, OH 44870
Family Fun: 173,000 sq. ft. indoor water park features a number of thrilling slides, a water coaster, lazy river, wave pool, special kids’ areas, and more! The resort also features an outdoor water park in-season, with a five-slide tower! Other fun includes the Safari Outdoor Adventures Park which offers zip-lining, ropes course, rock-climbing wall, and the Safari Adventures Animal Park. Kids’ activities are offered daily, including crafts and character appearances, plus a huge family arcade with indoor glow golf, laser tag, virtual reality, and more.
Food Features: There is truly something for every taste with a variety of onsite dining choices; everything from a quick-service pizza pub, deli, buffet restaurant, full-service dining options, room-service, sweet shop, and several lounges. Many guests enjoy B-Lux Grill & Bar – home of handcrafted burgers and shakes. This restaurant captures the latest craves through its robust influence of American-style food with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced. New for 2021 is Sortino’s Italian Kitchen featuring family Sicilian favorites.
Overnighting: So many overnight specials and packages are offered here, including multi-night discounts and fun stay enhancements. Need a break from your virtual classroom? Check out the Schoolaway Getaway, which features a safe place for learning filled with fantastic breaks.
- Authentic African décor/artwork – Don’t miss the décor all throughout! The Nelson family has a passion for Africa – beginning with the family’s first trip to the continent in the mid-90s, the family continues to regularly visit for inspiration and to purchase authentic items for their resorts, including hand-carved seating and tables, tribal masks and sculptures, hand-woven textiles and more.
- Storm Chaser – The Storm Chaser Slideboarding Adventure integrates gaming, skill, speed, and competitive sports into an experience that will define the water parks of the future. Storm Chaser features an interactive multi-level game built within a waterslide.
CASTAWAY BAY BY CEDAR POINT RESORTS
2001 Cleveland Rd. (US 6), Sandusky, OH 44870
Family Fun: 38,000 sq. ft. indoor water park features large wave-action pool, indoor/outdoor hot tub, water coaster, kids’ areas, and more. Water park day passes are available for non-hotel guests. Win prizes at the state-of-the-art arcade and participate in daily family-fun activities at Camp Castaway, detailed in the Island Times newsletter available at the front desk. Be sure to check operating days and hours throughout the winter, as the park operates mostly on weekends, with increased hours during peak times.
Food Features: Snack bar located within the water park; quick-service deli; breakfast buffet restaurant; attached Quaker Steak & Lube full-service restaurant; room service is also available, including pizza.
Overnighting: Castaway Bay recently underwent renovations to their guest rooms. A number of overnight packages are offered, which include accommodations, food, and activities combined at a savings. Cedar Point Gold and Platinum pass holders can receive discounts on select room types as well.
- Affiliation with Cedar Point – Cedar Point amusement park ticket packages are available during the operating season, and as a Cedar Point hotel guest you have access to discount tickets and admission to the park one hour prior to opening to the general public.
With so many great water parks and accommodations, it may be hard to choose! One thing is for sure, you’ll definitely have a swim-tastic time in Shores & Islands Ohio. The area’s water park resorts definitely make the ideal getaway for your family this winter! For more information visit www.SHORESANDISLANDS.com
Sandusky Ohio Indoor Water Parks