A polar plunge (also known as a polar bear jump) is for the bravest of brave! In fact, I believe I have been called “brave” more times for doing a polar plunge than for when I went skydiving!
Basically, this event consists of jumping into an extremely cold body of water for a short amount of time and then hopping back out! Many of these events take place to raise money for the Special Olympics or other charities.
Upcoming Polar Plunge events to raise money for the Special Olympics include:
- Sandusky Polar Plunge on January 31 at the Thirsty Pony in Sandusky
- Ohio University Polar Plunge on February 14 at Lake Snowden in Albany
- Columbus Polar Plunge on February 21 at the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium in Powell
- Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge on February 28 at Geneva State Park in Geneva
- Grand Lakes St. Mary’s Polar Plunge on March 7 in Celina
- Caesar’s Creek Polar Plunge on March 14 in Waynesville
- Indian Lake Polar Plunge on March 21 at Indian Lake State Park in Lakeview
Polar Plunges in Ohio