Valentine’s Day is often associated with sweet gestures and delicious treats. While chocolates and candies are the norm, I prefer to bake something special for my husband, who isn’t much of a sweet tooth. This year, I decided to surprise him with a delightful twist on a classic dessert – an Upside-Down Peach Cake baked with love in a heart-shaped pan!
Simple Ingredients for a Sweet Gesture: Upside-Down Peach Cake
What I love about this recipe is its simplicity. You don’t need to be a professional baker to whip up this delectable dessert or have many ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Cake Mix: I prefer this brand for its rich, buttery flavor, but any yellow cake mix will do.
- Ingredients listed on the cake box: Typically, this includes eggs, softened butter, and water (other cake mixes will call for oil instead of butter).
- Brown Sugar: 1 cup to create that lonely caramelized topping.
- Butter: 1 stick, which melts with brown sugar for a delicious glaze (this is in addition to the ingredients on the back of the cake box).
- Peaches: 20-ounce can sliced (sometimes I will use more or less depending on the size of my pan and the amount of peaches I would like).
- Optional: Whipped Cream or ice cream for topping.
- Heat Oven: Usually 350 degrees, but double-check the back of your cake mix box.
- Place the Butter & Brown Sugar: Place the stick of butter and brown sugar in your heart-shaped pan until the butter melts completely (about 5-10 min).
- Spread Evenly: Once melted, use a fork to spread the mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange the Peaches: Drain your peaches and place them carefully on top of the melted butter and brown sugar mixtures.
- Add the Cake Batter: Pour the prepared cake mix over the peaches.
- Bake with Love: Place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Remember to use a toothpick to check for doneness. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready!
- Cool and Flip: Let the cake cool, then carefully turn it upside down on a serving tray (or a plate, cookie sheet, etc) to reveal the beautifully caramelized peach topping.
- Serve and Enjoy: Slice and serve this delightful cake with ice cream or my favorite whipped cream.
A Valentine’s Day to Remember
This Upside-Down Peach Heart Cake is more than just a dessert. It’s a gesture of love, a symbol of the sweet moments shared with your significant other. Whether you’re celebrating years of togetherness or the freshness of a new relationship, this cake will surely bring a smile to your loved one’s face.
Remember, Valentine’s Day is about showing love and appreciation. What better way to do that than with a homemade cake filled with flavor and love? Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Use any other fruit such as pineapple, berries, etc.
- Add a little extra brown sugar if you like more caramelization
- Use a round cake pan to create a heart shape – check out this tutorial from Sugar and Sparrow: The easiest way to make a heart-shaped cake from round cake layers.
- It doesn’t have to be an upside cake, as any will be just as delicious.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
For a variety of dinner and snack ideas, be sure to explore Compass Ohio’s Cuisine section. They offer a range of delicious and creative recipes perfect for any meal or snack time.